Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Happy Hour in Laos

I saved this post for a rainy day, since too many of you have put the pressure on for a daily entry! We leave for a 3 day trek in Halong Bay today.

When we were in Vang Vien, we had a delicious Indian dinner (we are eating more Indian food here than Laos food. We just can't help it; we love it). We decided we needed a post dinner drink of mojitos. After all, the Lao people know how to make a mean mojito.

We went to a bar that was pumping Bob Marley. We read the menu, which was outside for all to look at at.

Some Lao dude that worked there came up to us and informed us that it was happy hour.

Happy hour! we thought in glee. We assumed we could now get our drinks for $.25 instead of $.50! To a bunch of dutch travellers on a budget, this was like manna from heaven.

We sat down and the dude brought us the Happy Hour Menu:


You'd think we were in Amsterdam!

(And while he informed us that this sort of stuff was legal, we found out after that it wasn't. Good thing we didn't order a mushroom pizza, or we might be in a Laos prison...)

2 comments:

Janet said...

All I can say is that this one made me laugh out loud. It's almost as funny as the menu you took a picture of last year. I've resumed my travels with you. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Man it's lucky I'm not with you guys. Who knows what you'd dare me to eat off that menu.