Friday, December 21, 2007

The Tumultuous Part of Vietnam


I think most would agree that the Vietnam War put Vietnam on the map, sadly so. We've all seen the movies and heard the stories; after all, as far as wars go, it's one of the more recent ones. While Vietnam is not boasting these sordid tales, you simply cannot visit the country without paying due respects to the atrocities that happened here only decades ago.

We decided to visit The War Remnants Museum, formerly known as the Museum of Chinese and American War Crimes. The museum still has an accusatory feel, very unfavorable to Americans. Granted, they are far from innocent, but little is accused of their allies during that time, such as South Korea and Australia. Still, it was satisfactory to see some quotes from Robert McNamara, US Secretary of State at that time, basically repenting for the wrongs they did. But no amount of repenting can undo what was done.

The museum had American jets, choppers, and tanks outside, and mostly pictures inside. The pictures were horrific and uncensored: blown up bodies, crying children, heaps of dead people, and the most tragic: numerous images of victims of Agent Orange. As Meaghan said, "Some of these images will be with me for the rest of my life." They were gruesome and sobering. War is terrible and yet we still resort to it. There were mock chambers of the conditions of the concentration camps and guillotines, and newspaper and magazine covers of media coverage during that time. It was very educational and yet harrowing. Totally uncensored, it was not something you would learn in history class.


On to better topics. We got carted around Ho Chi Minh City in a bicycle contraption, ate at a cool restaurant, drank fresh coconut milk from the shells, and ironically bumped into some South African friends we had met in Halong Bay and hung out with them for a bit.

Now we're in Cambodia, after yet another slightly eventful travel story, but I'll save that for tomorrow. I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitos and I need to deal with them...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that the mesquitos keep away from me after chugging a bottle of tobassco sauce and eating several cloves of garlic. The only down side is, is that most people stay away from me as well, plus all small animals and children faint or die while in my company. A risk well worth taking when dealing with mosquitos I think.

Anonymous said...

to Chris "I should be in a mental institute" Nelson: you're one strange Mofo....in fact, I think you get odder as the years go on! Ha ha, you know I love you. In fact, I like reading your random comments as much as the blog!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lynae. Chris should have that melon looked at. Oh well, are you and Mike going to be there on New Years? With Hayden of course (I need a wingman).